Aerolineas Argentinas, Austral, Lapa, Lade, and Dinar airlines use Brigadier de la Colina Airport, about 40 minutes and $14 from down- town by taxi.
Mar del Plata is a 30 minute flight from Buenos Aires
By road from Buenos Aires on route 2
By train, 5 hours from Buenos Aires
When to Go:
Though the beaches lure many visitors escaping summer heat, Mar del Plata is not just a summer resort.
You might want to plan your visit in January for the Fiesta Nacional del Mar (National Sea Festivity) and Fiesta Nacional de los Pescadores (National Fishermen Festivity) as Mar del Plata is known for both its commercial and sports fishing. Mar del Plata - Fishing Boats
Be prepared for rain all year around.
Things to Do and See:
- Beaches! Balneario La Perla, Balneario Punta Mogotes, Playa Grande, and Playa Chica, Miramar, Mar del Sur, Centinela del Mar, Costa Bonita and Necochea. Mar del Plata Beaches
- Mar del Plata Aquarium
- Bird watching, horseback riding, walks and boat cruises
- Tour San Pedro Cathedral, the National University of Mar del Plata (1961), Colón Theater, the botanical gardens and Faro Punta Mogotes
- Visit Torreón del Monje, Laguna de los Padres and the village of Santa Clara del Mar
- Museo Municipal de Ciencias Naturales Lorenzo Scaglia and Museo Municipal de Arte Juan Carlos Castagnino
- Enjoy the casino and the nightlife. Remember that most discos and pubs don't open until midnight or after to accommodate the late dinner hour